Sunday, August 07, 2005

If Only

I went to a symposium all afternoon about the new English language curriculum coming into schools here in Kurobe. (My personal translator, Gillian, helped me out.) They stressed the need to begin teaching English at an early age, and talked about why English is an important language to learn. What really impressed me was how many of the speakers pointed out the importance of learning more about other cultures in order to avoid further misunderstandings that lead to things like war. I can't help but think how many Americans could benefit from a similar attitude. I guess that's partly why I don't live there anymore.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Kyle said...

They're gonna turn you against America over there you know...

...which is just as well, cause living here will turn people against America as well. At least there you can expose yourself to a new culture.

A new, bat-infested culture.

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home